Since the portable ice maker has arrived in the market, it is becoming more and more creative as each day passes by. The portable ice makers are made for you so you can make homemade ice efficiently at any time. You don’t need to worry if you need ice at any time as ice maker takes just a couple of minutes to make ice. Therefore, you will never run out of ice supply. The portable ice maker can make ice for you in any season. But, it apparently will be used more in the summer month. That’s why you need to know the proper usage of the ice maker.
No machine lasts forever, and neither will the portable ice maker. But, there might be times when you can give your ice maker a little more attention and extend its life. When you notice that your ice maker has been not as good as before. You can either repair it with the help of professional service or take the matter into your hands; both have definite pluses and minuses. But, it is you who has to decide how you want to fix your beloved machine. The following are the plus and minus of both:
Your Ice maker will be determined by a trustable professional. However, it might cost too much money.
Do it yourself
You can save all the money if you repair it yourself with the help of manuals; but as you do not know much about it, it might not be reliable.
We are all aware you are not expert in repairing ice maker. But, the least you can do is analyse and understand the issue; then try to solve it before giving a call to the repair service. Before you contact the professionals, you should check out the following tips and the manual guide that comes with the machine. These are not entirely reliable. But, they will mostly get the job done without spending any money. All you need is just a little bit of guidance from us, the manual guide and, of course, your two hands.
When the ice won’t emit
- Water inlet valve – The water inlet valve does the work of supplying the water to the dispenser and ice maker. Sometimes there won’t be much pressure, and thus it can be defective which will not allow the water to flow. Check if the pressure in water inlet valve is sufficient that is at least 20 psi. If the portable ice maker is not filled with water, you may need to replace the water inlet valve to make ice again.
- Stuck ice cube – Sometimes an ice cube gets stuck where it shouldn’t be, and it creates issues in the ice maker as it blocks the path. Take a hair dryer and point it on the ice for a few minutes, wait for it to melt. The ice cube will vanish and so will the problem.
- Over 10° Fahrenheit – If the temperature is more than 10 degrees the condenser coils won’t work properly as the temperature should always be between 0 and 5 degrees F.
- Replace the assembly – If any part of your ice maker is proved to be defective; you should replace the entire component as all the ice maker parts are sold together. You should replace the portable ice maker assembly only when it keeps staying at 15 degrees F, or there are some issues in inlet valve, water line and the fan.
- Ice maker mould thermostat – The ice maker thermostat handles the temperature of the ice maker, and when the proper temperature is set, the ice maker ejects ice correctly filling the mould with the water, but when there are some issues with the thermostat itself, the ice will not come out. Replace the thermostat frame of the ice maker if it does not show any continuity. Get a multimeter to check the continuity of thermostat mould.
- Jammed water filter – If the water filter is blocked, it won’t allow the water to flow and reach the dispenser. Just replace your water filter every half year so it can continue to function properly and maintains the flow of water.
- Ice maker module – If there are some issues with the ice maker module, ice maker won’t make any ice. Firstly, see if the on/off switch is set to the on position. Then, check if the bail arm is in the downwards position. There may be some ice cubes stuck in the module’s ejector blades so make sure that they are removed.
- Low water pressure – Ice maker needs the sufficient water pressure to make ice, which is 20 psi. Check if the water pressure at home is at least 20 psi so it can function properly.
- Ice maker switches – Sometimes the switch of the ice maker can get turned off accidentally, and ice maker apparently stops working. But, if the switch is on and ice maker still would not work, then you may need to replace the switch.
There are many issues you may face while using the ice maker and most common ones are Non-ejection of ice, bad taste and discoloration. By following our instructions above and using the manual guide of the ice maker, you can repair your ice maker with ease, but there are still certain problems as one needs to know what he is dealing with. The safety is always a paramount concern, so you need to take some precautions while repairing the ice maker. Before you even touch the ice maker, unplug its switch to avoid any shocks.
Analyse all the parts of the ice maker and know how each one of them functions. You can do the repair by yourself if you are confident enough but if you don’t then take the guidance of the professional or contact the repair service as they are experts in this particular field.